Ever since coming back from Mexico, Mr. Mans & I can’t bring ourselves to go out for Mexican food. We are too depressed. I honestly never thought I would have such an emotional attachment to a vacation.
Instead of going out for Mexican, I figured I would pay tribute by making the classic American Macaroni & Cheese dish mexican style. Here, I present Jalapeno Macaroni Con Queso:
During the sauce making I grew increasingly frustrated and started throwing things when it was stringy and just completely not saucey. Do not grow discouraged if this happens! I found that adding a bit more (VERY little at a time) milk smoothed it out and made it velvety and smooth! I want this every day. Does it help that I used whole wheat elbows? I think it does.
Jalapeno Macaroni Con Queso adapted from Will Cook For Friends
- 1 lb. whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 8 oz. 50% reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 oz. 50% reduced fat monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter
- 2 TBSP all purpose flour
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced or sliced into rounds (seed/de-vein if you want it mild)
- 1/2 onion, diced fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk + more for thinning sauce
- 1/4 cup salsa (or pico de gallo)
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta until al-dente, drain, and set aside.
- While the water is coming to a boil, heat another pot or sauce pan over medium-high. This would be when you’d seed and devein the jalapeno to get rid of some of the heat. Add the butter, let it melt, then and the flour a little bit at a time to make a roux
- to the roux add jalapeno, onion, and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes to soften. Stir in the corn and turn off the heat.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, sour cream, and salsa. Add to the pot, off the heat, while stirring. Add the cheese one handful at a time, stirring until melted in between handfuls. If necessary, turn the heat back on to low and add more milk.
- Stir in the pasta and crushed red pepper flakes, and serve.