I normally hate the taste of chicken. I remember telling my husband that for the first time and he laughed at me for an hour and in between tried to tell me that nobody dislikes chicken. I can’t REALLY be the only person out there, can I? Give me fried chicken, chicken cutlets, chicken smothered in sauce, but if I can taste the actual chicken, it grosses me out. I hate making chicken even though it’s cheap and easy since I have to doctor it up so much to disguise the taste, which always adds extra calories. The chicken in this salad is simple and doesn’t taste chicken-y at all 🙂 Don’t freak out over the nurtition facts (found after the recipe), because honestly this salad probably serves three because I’m pretty sure Mr. Mans went in for seconds. Also remember, it’s the avocado that adds all the fat, which is GOOD fat after all.
You will need your slow-cooker for this, friends.
First, cook your chicken in the crockpot. For the most tender chicken, you need to cook it on low which will take 8 hours, so plan ahead! You can cook it on high for about 4 hours but it just won’t be the same. I find if possible, chicken should always be cooked on the low setting in a slow cooker.
Assemble the salad when the chicken is done cooking and slow cooker is turned to OFF (so the chicken doesn’t make your whole salad hot)
Chicken Fiesta Salad
Serves 2 + a LOT of leftover chicken, perfect for sandwiches or rice bowls, tacos, etc
- 4 chicken breast halves
- 1 jar of your favorite salsa
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4-6 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- ½ cup cooked corn
- ¾ cup black beans, pre-cooked (or rinsed from the can)
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- Juice from 1 lime
- ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup reduced fat cheddar cheese, grated
- Place chicken breasts in crock pot, add onions, bell pepper, and salsa. Cook on low for 7 hours, shred chicken, and cook for another 45 minutes to 1 hour. If strapped for time, chicken can cook on high for 3.5 hours before shredding and 30 minutes after shredded before it’s finished.
- After washing, add lettuce, corn, beans, avocado, and cucumber to large salad bowl
- In a separate small bowl, grate garlic with micro plane and mix with lime juice and vinegar. Add salt & pepper to taste (& a bit of olive oil if you aren’t concerned with some extra fat)
- Mix dressing in with salad, add chicken and cheese, and you’re finished!
Damage: 527 Calories/55g carbs/17g fat/44g protein/16g fiber