I have never made Chinese food before, therefore I am very amused right now. I actually hate most Chinese food, especially since moving to Florida (what is wrong with this state and their disgusting Chinese restaurants? I swear, nobody appreciates food in Florida… I could go on forever but I will stop here), BUT
a. this was made in a slow cooker so it = easy and
b. i happen to have all of the ingredients on hand
It was pretty good, and in the spirit of father’s day this weekend, I will dedicate this recipe to my dad who would drag me to a certain Chinese restaurant that I hated going to because it was 45 minutes away but would entice me by inviting my best friend and her dad. While eating at the restaurant, our fathers would mimic their accents TO THE WAITERS (not in a malicious way, just because he is the silliest person with the least pride on earth). The most embarrassing days of my life- my father provided all of them. & I love him for it because now I don’t take life seriously which makes it so much more fun (he also gave me my passion and love for creating food).
This is another really easy one. You can do it.
Mix your ingredients.
Pour over chicken and cook for 3-4 hours. Don’t forget to cook your rice before the chicken is done! I always forget about the darn side dish.
Chop into cubes, add sesame seeds, and serve over rice!
There are a lot of sources for this recipe, and I dont’ really know where it came from originally. I found it on Chef in Training, but I used a bit of different proportions.
CROCK POT HONEY SESAME CHICKEN
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (thighs can work but up the fat content)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons diced onion
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 6 Tablespoons water
- Sesame seeds
- Season both sides of chicken with lightly with salt and pepper, put into crock pot. In a small bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic and pepper flakes. Pour over chicken.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 hours, or just until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from crock pot, leave sauce. Dissolve 4 teaspoons of cornstarch in 6 tablespoons of water and pour into crock pot. Stir to combine with sauce.
- Replace lid and cook sauce on high for ten more minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces, then return to pot and toss with sauce before serving.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve over rice or noodles.
Damage: 310 calories/29g carbs/9g fat/34g protein/0g fiber (add brown rice for fiber)/25g sugar (this displeases me greatly, but it’s honey… what can you do)