Do you guys like Quinoa?
Who am I kidding, y’all are WAY HEALTHIER than I am! I had a hard time with Quinoa the first time I tried it and I find that I like it better when it isn’t the main focus/ingredient in the dish. This is my new favorite Quinoa recipe, Mexican style because this whole year has been Mexican themed for me so far. Love it.
I love it so much that I made enormous amounts of sauteed fajita vegetables & the quinoa mixture. So we’ll be eating this for awhile and I have no qualms about it.
BTW- that salsa brand is THE BEST. All natural, so tasty and unique. I love this kind and the green tomatillo, haven’t tried any other varieties yet but I have no doubts they will be incredible.
I got this idea from the Garden Grazer; I needed to switch up my turkey and cheese sandwich routine for something hot and satisfying for lunch. You don’t need measurements, just throw together whatever you like in a fajita and a burrito and melt some cheese on it.
- Black beans
- 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning (Or about 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp dried oregano, salt & pepper)
- Chicken or vegetable broth
Fajita Vegetable component:
- White onion, sliced thinly
- Green pepper, diced (I used 2)
- Sliced mushrooms
- 1tbsp taco seasoning
- olive oil
Other add-ins are the salsa and cheese, or anything else you want to stuff in there 🙂
- First, cook quinoa according to the directions on the box. I made 1/2 cup (all I had left from all my previous quinoa fails), and it has already filled 7 small tacos so far with a full tupperware to save (as seen above). It will at least last us another 7. Anyway. Add black beans to the cooked quinoa, taco seasoning, and the diced tomatoes. I also added a few splashes of chicken broth for some extra flavor. Let it simmer while you’re sauteing the vegetables.
- Saute chopped onions, green peppers, and mushrooms with another tbsp of seasoning in olive oil until soft
The rest is just assembly! For lunch/leftovers I just take the two containers out of the fridge and microwave it on my fajita sized tortilla in the microwave the with the cheese for 30 seconds, add salsa and you’re good to go.
Who else constantly and consistently overloads their tacos? So much fell out after rolling this sucker up
MMMMM! About three of these fill me up, and I reiterate that I always use the fajita size tortillas, they’re so small and cute and duh I can eat more if they are smaller 😉