I’m currently working on upping my protein intake simply to try and quell the constant yelling of my hungry stomach. This is possible thanks to Gold Standard protein… it is THE ONLY PROTEIN POWDER I HAVE EVER TRIED (out of about 6 different brands) that I can actually drink in water without gagging. It tastes GOOD with water… not sure how that is possible. So far I have only tried the rocky road flavor but I will definitely be ordering a lot more once my bank account allows for it. To be honest I am very skeptical of these protein powders considering there absolutely must be chemicals in them, but we’re all going to die one day and I don’t know of many instances where one died a premature death because of protein powder. Feel free to prove me wrong? How else would I consume 99+g of protein a day? Feel free to offer up alternative suggestions.
I made a white chili the other night and it was SO FILLING that I thought after eating it at 7pm I was sure I wouldn’t be hungry before bed, which also made me worried that I had calculated the nutrition facts wrong (anything healthy leaves me hungry after 2 hours). Sure enough by 8:30 my stomach started getting angry again (sorry about my privileged American problems). I can’t even stand the thought of people who are REALLY going hungry every day, it makes me upset. I hope to be able to cook for some of them one day.
I got this recipe from Rachael Ray’s October 2012 magazine issue. It was a section where they give you a main recipe and many different ways to change it up. Let me tell you it was nearly impossible to cook this because the directions were out of order and everywhere.
I definitely cut the fat content by using 1% milk instead of heavy cream (surely THAT would have kept me full), added some cornstarch to help the thickness and it was still creamy and initially very filling! I put everything together in one cohesive recipe so that you don’t have to go on a wild word chase on this magazine page whilst cooking. I took a picture and my husband said his presentation was much better, so tell me which one looks better to you..I CLEARLY had to edit ONE OF THEM more heavily 🙂
White Chicken Corn Chili
Very slightly modified from Rachael Ray’s Magazine: October 2012 issue. Serves 6
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 32 oz box of low sodium chicken broth
- 2-3 chopped red potatoes
- 3 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- sea salt & ground pepper
- 3 cups fresh corn, cut off cob
- 1 can chopped green chiles
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 can of white or kidney beans
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 2-4 tbsp cornstarch to thicken
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese (change up the cheese ratio based on flavor/spice preference)
- Sour cream and chives for garnish
- In a large dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute until tender, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and satue for another minute or two, then add broth, and red potatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer at medium heat for about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Add corn, chiles, raw chicken, and beans, and simmer for 10 more minutes or until chicken is no longer pink
- Once chicken is fully cooked, add the milk, cheese, and cornstarch and stir until thickened
- Top with low fat sour cream and chives
Damage (without optional sour cream garnish): 415 calories/45g carbs/15g fat/28g protein/7g fiber