I SUPPOSE you are waiting on the introduction of PUMPKIN EVERYTHING sometime soon. I have yet to jump on the bandwagon, though I did have an iced (hello, Florida) pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks but I just am not that into it yet.
So when my friend from New York suggested we bake VANILLA cupcakes in celebration of our reunitation (not a word), I scoffed when she said we can just, you know, buy boxed stuff and make it.
Why don’t normal people understand my life?
CLEARLY, we will be making this from scratch and not only that, Andreana, we are making vanilla BEAN cupcakes with KAHLUA butter cream. I really do like boxed cake (I am DEFINITELY not above it…I’d eat it every day if you make it for me). If I bake though, I want to waste my time and experiment and not know what the end result will taste like. Here we go.
Vanilla Bean CupcakesFrom The Cupcake Project: Makes 16 cupcakes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour, not self-rising
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup full-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup canola oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon pure (not imitation) vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup 1% milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and seeds from the vanilla bean
- Using the back of a spoon, move around the bowl and apply pressure to break up any clumps of seeds and to better infuse the vanilla flavor into the sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, mix together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- Add the vanilla bean sugar and mix until well combined
- Add butter and mix on medium-low speed for three minutes (Because there is so little butter, you’ll end up with a very fine crumb texture..don’t worry!)
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, sour cream, oil, and vanilla extract until smooth
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined
- Slowly add milk and mix on low speed until just combined. The batter will be liquid
- Fill cupcake liners just over 1/2 full
- Bake for 14-18 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean with no crumbs
- When the cupcakes are done, remove them immediately from the tins and leave them on a cooling rack or counter to cool
Damage (1 cupcake): 172 calories/23g carbs/8g fat/2g protein/13g sugar
Kahlua Vanilla Bean ButtercreamFrom The Cupcake Project‘s Vanilla Bean Buttercream recipe: Frosts 16 cupcakes generously
- 1 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 vanilla bean pods, seeded
- 1 tablespoon Kahlua (this produces a very mild and non alcoholic taste, add more if you’d like, but be mindful of the consistency)
- 1 tablespoon milk to desired consistency
- Beat together sugar and butter until they are blended and creamy.
- Add vanilla bean and Kahlua and continue to beat for another minute until light and fluffy
- Add milk until the frosting meets your desired consistency
Damage (amount for 1 cupcake): 102 calories/12g carbs/6g fat/10g sugar