holiday season HALLOWEEN CANDY SALES! I did not have one piece of candy corn this year until yesterday when I picked up a bag for one dollar. It was then I learned that I CANNOT stop eating them once I lay my eyes on the bag. I also picked up my other Halloween favorites after being a jerk and refusing to buy candy at a 10000% profit margin to give out FOR FREE to kids I have never met before in my life.
I picked up the bags of fun size candy at Publix for $3 each and they will last in my freezer for months. I am more excited than I should be.
I am so glad that I get to have TWO Thanksgiving dinners this year. Last night, our Bible study group put on a Thanksgiving dinner potluck and I almost exploded my stomach. Everyone was taking pictures of their heavy plates and I, the person with an actual blog, did not take a picture. Let’s just say I probably carb-loaded enough to run two marathons today. I will offer you my contribution to the meal and a delicious suggestion for a Thanksgiving side dish. It’s very tasty and turns healthy fresh vegetables into vehicles for bacon.
Italian Green Beans with Bacon
Serves about 10 people
- 2 lbs of fresh green beans, rinsed with ends cut
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2-1 cup of seasoned breadcrumbs (you can also add Italian seasoning & parmesan cheese to plain breadcrumbs)
- 6 pieces bacon, fried and chopped as thick or fine as your preference
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt & fresh cracked pepper
- Heat olive oil in a 12 inch skillet on medium-low and stir in garlic until fragrant, about 3 minutes (make sure the pan is NOT sizzling hot, or else the garlic will burn)
- Add beans and mix with breadcrumbs, mixing until beans are coated with breadcrumbs and oil
- Cover and cook for about 10 minutes on medium, until the beans are softened but still crisp
- Mix in bacon, season with salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese to taste
Damage: 128 calories/13g carbs/6g fat/5g protein/2g fiber/2g sugar
Do you guys like your candy frozen, refrigerated or at room temperature? Halloween/fun size favorites?
My husband wants them refrigerated while I really just prefer to break my teeth on frozen snickers- they are so good to me.
Do you actually try to eat healthy during the holiday season?
This could be my first attempt (but I’ll also be running a lot more so I probably will end up eating way more sugar than I should), but I’ll NEVER restrict my eating for the actual holiday dinner. That was never meant to be for anyone.