I haven’t baked in awhile, and while my waistline certainly does NOT reflect my lack of in-home sweet consumption, I caught the bug bad this past weekend. I closed my eyes and picked from my “baking” folder on my bookmarks bar and went to town on Pinch Of Yum‘s Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake.
I wasn’t thrilled with the idea of it at first, but I was pleased with the fact that we had ALL of the ingredients in the house which would not add on to our already limited grocery bill. Game on.
This is a dense vanilla cake with a thin cheesecake layer topped with streusel, making it feel breakfast-y and appropriate for any hour of the day as seen below.
I will neither confirm nor deny that this was our pan only 17 hours after this cake came out of the oven. I suggest you hold off on making this until you have house guests or any situation that would include multiple people consuming the entirety of it in one night so that one is limited to one or two pieces only 🙂
One disclosure I’d like to include is that when I made this I only had a half a block of cream cheese (4 oz vs. the 8 oz the recipe calls for) so I just added all I had left and this is reflected in the nutrition facts beneath the recipe. I also used light sour cream. If you’re not worried about extra calories and only want more deliciousness, use the full 8oz of cream cheese you will have a thicker cheesecake type layer and it will surely be delightful. Also, pay attention to the “serving size” which is only 1/12th of the cake. Take a look at that pan and tell me if you would only want 1/12th of that.
Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- 2¼ cups flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup butter
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup homemade or store-bought raspberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix flour, sugar, and butter with a pastry cutter or with your hands to make a crumbly mixture. Put 1 cup of the crumbs aside for streusel topping.
- Combine remaining crumbs with baking powder, baking soda, salt, sour cream, and 1 egg. Mix until mostly smooth. Spread in the bottom of a lightly greased 9×13 baking pan.
- Beat softened cream cheese, ¼ cup sugar and 1 egg until smooth. Pour over the batter in the pan and spread in an even layer. Spoon the jam over the cream cheese layer and swirl with a knife to make a marbled effect. Sprinkle reserved crumbs on top.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until a knife inserted comes out clean.
Damage: 302 calories//37g carbs//15g fat//5g protein//1g fiber//20g sugar